Helsinki Climate & Temperature
- Helsinki, Finland is at 60°10'N, 24°37'E, 51 m (167 ft). See map.
- Helsinki has a humid continental climate with severe winters, no dry season, warm summers and strong seasonality (Köppen-Geiger classification: Dfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Helsinki is situated in or near the boreal wet forest biome.
- The mean annual temperature is 4.8 degrees Celsius (40.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 24 °C (43.2°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach -2.7°C (27.2°F) on average falling to -7.7°C (18.2°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 6.7°C (44°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of -1.3°C (29.6°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 20.3°C (68.6°F) and average low temperatures are 11.3°C (52.4°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 8.7°C (47.6°F) during the day and lows of 3.3°C (38°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 688 mm (27.1 inches) which is equivalent to 688 Litres/m² (16.87 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 1802 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Helsinki you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Mcmurdo Sound, Antarctica where you would find a Ice Cap climate.
Helsinki Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Helsinki Climate Graph in Metric Units
Helsinki Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Helsinki, Finland Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Currently under general maintenance.|
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides: